Using Connectome Workbench
Connectome Workbench is an open source, freely available visualization and discovery tool used to map neuroimaging data, especially data generated by the Human Connectome Project. The distribution includes wb_view, a GUI-based visualiation platform, and wb_command, a command-line program for performing a variety of algorithmic tasks using volume, surface, and grayordinate data. wb_command is necessary for running HCP data processing pipelines.
Workbench version 1.0 is available for download for 64-bit Mac OSX, Windows, and Linux (Windows 32-bit is no longer supported): Get Connectome Workbench now.
New features of Workbench v1.0
- The “workbench” GUI executable has been renamed “wb_view”
- Integrated Help information in wb_view accessible through the “?” button
- Additions to capabilities for displaying matrix charts for parcellated connectivity CIFTI files
- New border file format that simplifies usage of wb_command on border files (see -file-convert or tutorial instructions for conversion of old format border files)
- wb_commands "-nifti-convert" and "-cifti-convert -version-convert" have been moved to "-file-convert", nifti convert arguments changed
- New viewing capabilities for asymmetric dense connectome CIFTI file, multi-slice oblique volume, and label data viewing
Workbench allows you to explore data and activity on the surface, as well as in the volume of the brain. Connectome Workbench works seamlessly with ConnectomeDB to import averaged data from a group of subjects and view that data on a group averaged brain atlas in Workbench. In future versions of the software, users will be able to use Workbench to display and analyze functional task and connectivity, diffusion, and behavioral data from single subjects or groups of subjects defined by a user-initiated search of ConnectomeDB.
Screenshots (click to expand)
The Workbench visualization platform and wb_command utilities are open-source and written in C++ by software developers in the Van Essen Laboratory at Washington University. (License)
Connectome Workbench v1.0 has been released as of Sept 10, 2014 and is available for MacOSX, Linux, Windows platforms. Also available to use with Workbench are:
- WB tutorial & user guide and HCP sample data available from ConnectomeDB
- WB-compatible Group average functional connectivity dataset and dense connectome files available from ConnectomeDB
Download the source code for Connectome Workbench from our GitHub repository: https://github.com/Washington-University/workbench.