Project Overview & Components
Data Being Collected
- Standard HCP demographics
- Imaging: Structural, functional (resting state and task), diffusion and perfusion MRI data collected on Siemens 3T Prisma system located at UCLA is acquired using sequences identical to those developed for the HCP-Aging Project. Functional imaging tasks probe emotional processing and cognitive control.
- Clinical Assessments (Baseline): Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-5, Research Version (SCID-5-RV); Antidepressant Treatment History Form (ATHF); Prescribed Medication History Questionnaire; ChronoType Questionnaire; PhenX Toolkit Substance Abuse and Addiction Questionnaires; Fagestrom Test for Nicotine Dependence; Daily Stress Inventory; Stress and Adversity Inventory (STRAIN); Parental Bonding and Early Life Events Questionnaire; Behavioral Inhibition and Activation System Questionnaires (BIS/BAS), Migraine Screener; World Health Organization Disability Assessment Schedule (WHODAS); National Network of Depression Centers Comorbidity Questionnaire; Combined Trait Rumination Questionnaire.
- Clinical Assessments (Repeated): Hamilton Depression Rating Scale, 17 item (HAMD-17); Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology – Clinician Rated (IDS-C); Computerized Adaptive Tests for Depression, Anxiety, Mania/Hypomania, and Suicide (CAT-MH); Young Mania Rating Scale (YMRS); Quick Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology – Self-Rated (QIDS-SR); Depression Anxiety Stress Scales (DASS); Combined State Rumination Questionnaire; Snaith-Hamilton Pleasure Scale (SHAPS); Apathy Evaluation Scale (AES); Pittsburg Sleep Quality Index; Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) Anxiety Test.
- Behavioral Assessments: NIH Toolbox and University of Pennsylvania Computerized Neuropsychological (PennCNP) Tests; Autobiographical Memory Test, Effort Expenditure for Rewards Task.
- Repeated Physiological Measures: Plasma for gene expression analyses and storage of DNA for future genotyping.
Subjects include 200 patients with severe depression clinically eligible to receive ECT (n=60), serial ketamine (n=60) or TSD (n=80) and 140 controls, combining control data collected locally (n=40) with data from the HCP resource (n=100). Each patient will receive MRI, behavioral/cognitive testing and a blood draw before and after completing one of the interventions.
- The first data release includes 20 unique subjects.
- The second data release includes 110 unique subjects, 90 with repeat data.
- The third data release includes 110 unique subjects, 90 with repeat data.
- Gene expression raw and analyzed data will be deposited in the Gene Expression Omnibus (GEO) database (
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/geo) at the end of the project.
Major Depression, Mood Disorders, White Matter, Functional Connectivity, Structural Connectivity, Neuroplasticity, Antidepressant